Wednesday 28 August 2013

Run to win: Radiant Run recap

I tend to be a planner. I research before I do. You know the type: has to check to every single store in the city before they choose a pair of socks. Asking questions like, "What if they're cheaper somewhere else?" "Maybe there's a better colour downtown?!" 

Unfortunately, this isn't always the best method for accomplishing real goals. Sometimes you just gotta close your eyes, forget what could go wrong, and do it. I struggle with this concept but I rarely regret my choice to embrace spontaneity. Giving in to the unknown works for me because I don't tend to be off the wall in my personality. I know this philosophy doesn't work for everyone nor is it always the right choice. Sometimes though, I need to go with an idea even though it seems crazy.

Radiantrun.com my photo at the wall

Fighter pose at Radiant Run

One of my spontaneous moments was blogging my goal to run a 5k. Honestly, when I posted about the Radiant Run a while ago, I wasn't so sure whether I should or could run a 5k. I know, I know, it's only five kilometers. I told you...I think too much. 

As soon as I posted, I knew I needed a buddy to see me through to completion. (Otherwise I'd wimp out and fake an injury.) As I thought about Vancouver (the run's location), I immediately thought of my favourite Vancouver blog: Style on the Side. One blog comment later and I had an amazing running partner all lined up. (We also went shopping. Of course. You can read all about that on her blog.) 

Photo with Caroline of Style on the side dot com
The beautiful Caroline of Style on the Side

Training wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done. However, finding an organized schedule made the workout much more efficient and satisfying. I'd been exercising by dabbling with elliptical, doing some crunches, and maybe trying the chest press, but I was aimless. Having a goal really motivated me to succeed.

I talked to my brother about all of this and he liked the idea so much that he signed up to run with me!

Radiant Run fun pose

Radiantrun.com in action running photo

Brother Sister at Radiant Run

The Radiant Run was worth all of my effort. It was one of the best times I've had and was made all the better by great company and an amazing race track. Lights were strung everywhere along the course with booming music motivating runners to run on. People donned neon clothes and glow sticks creating an otherworldly scene.

Santa made an appearance; jellyfish and robot men danced to music along the way. The sky darkened as we ran making the lights so magical. Onlookers shouted encouragement from the sidelines and offered high-fives to everyone. The Radiant Run vibe was incredible. I had such a great experience for my first official 5k!

Crowd beginning Radiant Run

Kristina at Radiant Run

radiantrun.com photo Kristina and Santa Claus

Radiantrun.com runners competing

Radiant Run glow sticks brother sister

radiantrun.com brother sister victory

The night ended victoriously. Despite having the remnants of a cold, I successfully ran the course. I am beginning to understand the runner's high. It felt so amazing to have finished something I thought improbable. Prizes and dancing filled the evening after the run ended. I caught a pair of free socks so my night was doubly happy. Though I wouldn't have selected those socks myself, I was glad I chose to reach out and grab them. (Do you like what I did there?)

radiantrun.com mosh pit prize giveaway

Kristina with glowing men

Also, check out Caroline's blog. Style on the Side. She's well worth the read and is quite a nice person.

Question: What are some spontaneous things you've done?

2 comments:

Your turn to talk!